What people like-
- SOS is computer-based (CD-ROM) learning, designed for this generation.
- Covers all base subjects plus a wide offering of electives (see website for list).
- Can pick and choose which subjects to buy or purchase the whole set.
- Parents can track their child’s progress.
- Student’s work is automatically graded.
- Student can work independently.
- Most users feel the cost is less expensive compared to similar programs.
- SOS is reusable.
- Children enjoy the games.
What people don’t like-
- SOS is not a creative curriculum. There is less hands-on learning.
- May not work well for a large family unless there is access to more than one computer.
- Student should first know how to type. This might be tricky for younger students.
- Sometimes correct answers are marked wrong because of how they are written by the student.
- The graphics are not the best.
- The CD's can get scratched.
- Some children might find SOS boring and repetitive.
- Can buy directly from the publisher’s website, but also from Christianbook.com
- SOS requires initial set up and installation.
- Consider buying last year's version (check EBay) which will be the same program at a lower cost to you. Just make sure the installation disk is included.
- SOS does not support every system. Make sure you check system requirements before you buy.
Alpha Omega also offers an online program called, Monarch, which has a subscription fee, but requires no set up. https://www.aop.com/curriculum/shop-monarch
Liahona Academy offers LDS distance learning via the computer (live-streaming or video classes). https://www.liahonaeducation.com/
Publisher/Website- Alpha Omega Publications/ https://www.aop.com/Curriculum/Switched-On-Schoolhouse
Summary from company- “Switched-On Schoolhouse is a comprehensive, Christian homeschool curriculum that offers computer-based learning for grades 3-12. With animation, video clips, and other fascinating multimedia, Switched-On Schoolhouse is the perfect Christian homeschool curriculum for today's generation. With this flexible, best-selling curriculum, you can customize student learning to fit individual educational needs.”
The Good & the Beautiful curriculum is designed to foster a true love of learning while teaching strong and advanced academics. The images and artwork, the exercises and assignments, and the literature used are all designed to connect children to the good and the beautiful: family, God, high moral character, and the wonders and beauty of nature and human life.
Teach all core subjects, the easy way! With a Christian CDROM Teacher.
Families will enjoy this all in one way of teaching multiple subjects to multiple ages, all at the same time!
Curriculum designed around "living books" and the Charlotte Mason philosophy. All online.
All-in-one online curriculum for free!
Classical approach that provides a framework for learning with history, geography, and living books.
Tried and true Christian homeschool curriculum. Well-known for its effective language arts program.
LDS-based all-in-one curriculum, minus math.
FREE all in one, comprehensive homeschool curriculum for all ages.
All subjects (except math and english) taught one-room schoolhouse style with an LDS curriculum.